Monday, September 22, 2008

Thing #15 - Wiki Wiki

I had been wondering what exactly a "wiki" was, especially when I would see that I could go to a site and "add a wiki". Huh? After looking at a few of the suggested sites, I think it is a pretty cool thing.

"Book Lovers Wiki" developed by the Princeton Public Library was eye opening. I thought it was a great way to integrate wikis and summer reading programs...or was it a book club? Couldn't really tell. Anyhoo, I think it was a great idea to get their customers more involved with the library rather than just getting a library card. Submitting reviews of books they read, seemed like a popular thing with our customers during previous ASRC. I know I would love to submit a book review and actually see it on a website immediately instead of waiting for it to be approved. Princeton Public Library provided their customers a means through which they can get the immediate results that so many people crave nowadays.

I also looked at "Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki". This was a very informative website, in that they really broke everything down to make it easier to understand. Even I was able to navigate their site without a lot of trouble, and that's saying something! I think this is a great resource for librarians to give and receive tips and ideas about all aspects of the library. Wow!

No comments: