After looking at the list of Web 2.0 award winners, I surprised to see how many of those sites I have already visited. I have accounts with several of the sites and others I have at least heard of. Among the first place sites, I have experimented with the following: Delicious, Craigslist, Google Docs, MyHeritage, PBWiki, Frappr, Google Maps, Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube. Out of all of the sites I listed, YouTube and Google Maps are the ones I use the most. I had the opportunity to explore MyHeritage and, so far, I prefer Ancestry.com! There is still more for me to explore in that site and it's possible my opinion may change. I'm sure library customers would find MyHeritage useful considering how popular our genealogy department is.
I already use Google Maps when helping customers find places here in the city. This site seems to be more accurate than either Yahoo Maps or Mapquest. I also like how you can toggle between regular and satellite imaging. Some locations have the option of seeing it in "street view", like an intersection for example. It's been very helpful to me in that by having a "street view", you can use landmarks to find where you are going.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I always pull up Google Maps when a customer needs directions just so I can show them all the great features such as Street View and how easy it is to adjust the route if they don't like the one Google gave them. Occasionally, if the customer is on a 60 minute computer and not in a hurry, I'll even mention Google Earth to see if they would be interested in checking out the overabundance of cool stuff in it.
Post a Comment