Overall, I enjoyed this program. It was certainly frustrating but it was fun to play at work and not get punished for it! Some of the things we learned about, namely wikis, could have had better instructions. Those Common Craft videos were horrible! I don't think I watched any of them the whole way through. However, many of the websites and tools that we worked with, are things that I had heard of but never visited. For example, I had heard of Stumbleupon but I had never visited the site. Actually, I never even knew there was a site! As soon as I saw that there was a category for puzzles, I knew I was doomed! I've already mentioned LibraryThing to a customer who mentioned that they had a hard time keeping track of what books they already read/owned.
Also it's nice to know that I will have the knowledge to help a customer if they come up and ask for it. Wikis, RSS Feeds, etc., those tools are still a little confusing for me, and I'm certainly not an expert on them, but at least I'll know the basics. I really think that podcasts would be useful for the library, possibly even wikis. I wonder if we'll still be able to "play" at work without any consequences after the program ends. (-; Either way, I hope we have a program like this again!
No comments:
Post a Comment